The BCSD school budget includes an estimated $133,475,369 of expenditures for the 2016-2017 school year, with an estimated $124,626,040 of revenue - leading to the expected funding gap of $8,849,329.  Curious where those numbers come from and where all that money is going? A few of the major ideas are discussed below, but definitely check out the BCSD website for all the details.  BCSD Website

FAQ #1:  Where does the BCSD spend over $132 million dollars?

As seen in the chart to the right, over 78% of the district's expenditures are in personnel salaries and benefits.  The remainder is spent on administrative costs to manage and supervise the operations, and capital expenditures to maintain and upgrade the facilities.  Want to see more details?  Check it out here:  Expenditure Details





FAQ #2:  How does the BCSD "make" money?
The district's primary source of funding is property taxes, as seen in the chart to the right.  The remainder of the funding comes from state and federal aid, tuition charges, county sales tax revenue and other miscellaneous sources.  For more details on revenue sources, please click here:  Funding Sources




FAQ #3:  Why haven't we seen such a large gap in the past?
The $9 million question.  There are many situations that have led to such a significant funding gap this year.  While we are not experts, the primary reasons that we have heard cited include:
-  Significantly higher health plan costs than anticipated
-  Reduced tuition revenue
-  Little or no fund balance available to help close the gap (used heavily in the past few years)
-  Lower than allowable tax levy cap increase last year

Many factors have led to this situation - we encourage everyone to check out the details on the BCSD website: BCSD Budget Documents

FAQ #4:  Can a gap like this happen again?
If our expenses continue to grow at a rate greater than our revenue, yes we will continue to have to cut programs.

Our biggest financial challenge is funding employee salaries and benefits. Employee compensation makes up approximately 78% of the budget. The employee contracts allow for salary increases that exceed our revenue growth (that's the tax levy cap.) If employee compensation is not aligned with the tax levy cap, we will always be forced to cut from the remaining 22% of our budget.



(to enlarge, simply click the image)


(to enlarge, simply click the image)